As a parent, caregiver, or family member, you may sense that something is amiss with your child or loved one. If you are concerned that they are struggling and need support, consider these signs and signals — and take action for them and your family.
1 Social Withdrawal
- Are they spending excessive time alone and missing school and social events?
- Do they not return calls and texts?
2 Irregular Habits
- Do you notice significant changes in eating or sleeping habits?
- Do you see drastic changes in behavior, such as excessive use of media, video games, or screen time?
- Do you notice large changes in school performance?
3 Major Changes in Mood or Behavior
- Do you notice intense worry, overwhelming fear, increased hopelessness, anger, deep sadness, or extended irritability?
4 Risk-Taking Behaviors
- Are you observing self-medicating behaviors with drugs or alcohol?
- Do you see evidence of self injury, such as cutting?
- Are they neglecting personal safety?